'The Constellation' by Shihoko Fukumoto, 1998, Indigo dyed Turfan cotton, h: 81.3 x w: 78.7 cm
1. Research at least one contemporary textile artist/designer from the following:
Shihoko Fukumoto, Erica Runstrom, Sharon Elphick*
Pay particular attention to the techniques they use when making your selections and where possible choose ones who use techniques that you will be exploring yourself. For example: paper-shibori, laminating/bonding and photo-transfer printing.
'Shibori: The art of fabric trying, folding, pleating & dyeing' E Moller. (this is in the college library!)
http://www.culturebase.net/artist.php?914 (Images and text)
http://www.texturalspace.com/ (Exhibition: Images and text)
http://www.bellasartesgallery.com/fukumoto_bio.html (image and text)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevira/363430981/ (Exhibition: Image)
http://www.galeriebesson.co.uk/miharafukumoto.html (Exhibition: Images and text)
http://www.sharonelphick.com/ (images, CV, exhibitions and text)
http://elphicks.wordpress.com/ (Sharon Elphicks Blog)
http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/264878-sharon-elphicks-fleur-shows-consistency-in-change (review of an exhibition)
2. Complete an illustrated analysis for each artist.
3. Make notes and include the following information on each designer in your own words.
• Background information on the artists’ concepts, ideas and themes.
• Their use of formal elements
• The processes and techniques they use.
• Their influences and aims.
• Your own opinion of their work
*those students who have missed the paper shibori & laminating introductions should research Sharon Elphick. If you have research Sharon Elphick previously, please select another artist/designer from this assignment
Deadline: Tuesday 11th Janurary 2011